Academic Journals for Communication, Gender Studies, Masculinities, Publishers and Library Databases, Film Studies and Criticism, and Internet Research.
This is a partial list of the journals that are available. If you find another journal you would like listed send the name and website link to me at the email at the bottom of this page.
The library at UOIT has access to several excellent electronic databases for Communication. These include (but are not limited to):
- Communication Abstracts
- Communication & Mass Media Complete
- Communication Studies: A SAGE Full-Text Collection
- Communication and Critical/Cultural Studies, publishes scholarship for an international readership on communication as a theory, practice, technology, and discipline of power.
- Communication Monographs, tends to include research on communication from a social science perspective. Communication Education, focuses its attention on research on instructional communication.
- Communication Research publishes articles that explore the processes, antecedents, and consequences of communication in a broad range of societal systems. These include: mass media, interpersonal, health, political, new technology, organization, intercultural, and family.
- Communication Theory provides for an international forum publishing high quality, original research into the theoretical development of communication from across a wide array of disciplines, such as communication studies, sociology, psychology, political science, cultural and gender studies, philosophy, linguistics, and literature.
- Communication Yearbook publishes state-of-the-art literature reviews and articles providing comprehensive syntheses of literature.
- Critical Studies in Media Communication, publishes research on media of all varieties from a critical or cultural perspective.
- Discourse & Society is a multidisciplinary journal publishing outstanding research at the boundaries of discourse analysis and the social sciences. Reaching beyond the linguistic or text and or talk oriented approaches of much discourse analysis, it focuses on the discursive dimensions of social and political issues and problems.
- Human Communication Research concentrates on presenting empirical work in any area of human communication. The special brief of the journal is to advance understanding of human symbolic processes, so there is a strong emphasis on theory-driven research, the development of new theoretical models in communication, and the development of innovative methods for observing and measuring communication behavior.
- Journal of Applied Communication Research, focuses on applied settings and real-world concerns. This quarterly journal deals with explorations of problems and situations from a communicative orientation.
- Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media is an international quarterly devoted to advancing knowledge and understanding of communication and the electronic media.
- Journal of Communication is a general forum for communication scholarship and publishes articles and book reviews examining a broad range of issues in communication theory and research.
- Journal of Computer Mediated Communication contributes to knowledge in the field of computer-mediated communication. No one discipline, and no single methodology is viewed as inherently superior. Research based in any of the social sciences is represented.
- Journal of Marketing Communications is a channel for discussing issues such customer relationship management, integrated marketing communication, together with behavioural foundations of marketing communications and promotion management.
- Journal of Popular Culture: PC concentrates on the inter and multi-disciplinary approach to the study of culture in every area and through all forms - the arts and sciences and the print and electronic media - in the present and past throughout America and around the world. Such investigation opens up new fields of research and scholarly enjoyment, and brings understanding of the mass culture of all times, that broad aspect of life that really holds society together.
- The Quarterly Journal of Speech, includes articles, research reports, and book reviews of interest to persons across a broad spectrum of the communication arts. QJS tends to be humanistic in its orientation.
- Southern Communication Journal publishes original scholarship that makes significant contributions to understanding human communication. The journal is not limited with regard to topic or context, methodological approach, or theoretical perspective. One of my favorite issues from 2000 opened my world to the communication concept of dialogue.
- Text and Performance Quarterly focuses on the history, theory, and criticism of any type of text realized in performance.
Women's Studies and Communication/Language Journals
- Women and Language is an international, interdisciplinary research periodical publishing thought-provoking essays and inquiries, book reviews, bibliographies, and more, on topics of interest to a wide range of scholars interested in communication, language and gender.
- Women Studies in Communication provides a feminist forum for research, reviews, and commentary that advance our understanding of the relationships between communication and women, gender, and feminisms. It is published by ORWAC.
Gender and Women's Studies Journals
- Camera Obscura has devoted itself to providing innovative feminist perspectives on film, television, and visual media. It consistently combines excellence in scholarship with imaginative presentation and a willingness to lead media studies in new directions.
- differences highlights theoretical debates across the disciplines that address the ways concepts and categories of difference-notably but not exclusively gender-operate within culture.
- European Journal of Women's Studies is a major international forum for original scholarship at the cutting edge of research in Women's Studies. The journal's main focus is the complex theoretical and empirical relationship between women and the particular, and diverse, context of Europe.
- Feminist Economics provides an open forum for dialogue and debate about feminist economic perspectives. By opening new areas of economic inquiry, welcoming diverse voices, and encouraging critical exchanges, the journal enlarges and enriches economic discourse. The goal of Feminist Economics is not just to develop more illuminating theories, but to improve the conditions of living for all children, women, and men.
- Feminist Studies is committed to publishing an interdisciplinary body of feminist knowledge and theory that makes visible assumptions about gender and sexual identity, and the experiences and contributions of women across a wide range of difference. Whether the research is drawn from the complex past or the shifting present, the articles that appear in Feminist Studies address implicitly and explicitly social and political issues that intimately and significantly affect women in the United States and around the world.
Feminist Theory is genuinely interdisciplinary and reflects the diversity of feminism, incorporating perspectives from across the broad spectrum of the humanities and social sciences and the full range of feminist political and theoretical stances.
- The journal promotes:
- debate among theorists from diverse perspectives
- critical engagements with shifting disciplinary hierarchies within feminist theory
- challenges to existing theoretical orthodoxies and conventional definitions of theory
- empirically grounded theorizing as well as more conceptual work
- writing which is politically engaged and which explores links between theory and practice
- the crossing of theoretical and disciplinary boundaries
- work by feminists from all parts of the world
- Gender and Society examines gender as one of the foundations of every existing social order. Emphasizing theory and research from micro- and macrostructural perspectives, Gender and Society aims to advance both the study of gender and feminist scholarship.
- Hypatia. A Journal of Feminist Philosophy is the only journal for scholarly research at the intersection of philosophy and women's studies.
- The Journal of Feminist Studies in Religion, the oldest interdisciplinary, inter-religious feminist academic journal in religious studies, is a channel for the publication of feminist scholarship in religion and a forum for discussion and dialogue among women and men of differing feminist perspectives.
- Journal of Homosexuality is devoted to scholarly research on homosexuality, including sexual practices and gender roles and their cultural, historical, interpersonal, and modern social contexts. In addition to research on human sexuality, articles in the journal also explore the political, social, and moral implications of research on human sexuality. Unique perspectives from the disciplines of law, history, and the humanities broaden the scope of the journal even more.
- Journal of Middle East Women’s Studies advances the fields of Middle East women’s studies, gender studies, and Middle East Studies through contributions from multiple disciplines in the social sciences and humanities. It is the office publication of the Association for Middle East Women’s Studies.
- The Journal of Women's History is the first journal devoted exclusively to the international field of women's history.
- Meridians: feminism, race, transnationalism provides a forum for the finest scholarship and creative work by and about women of color in U.S. and international contexts. Recognizing that feminism, race, transnationalism, and women of color are contested terms, the journal engages the complexity of these debates in a dialogue across ethnic and national boundaries, as well as across traditional disciplinary boundaries in the academy.
- Nashim: A Journal of Jewish Women's Studies & Gender Issues provides an international, interdisciplinary academic forum-the only one of its kind-for the innovative work being done in the many areas of research that comprise the field of Jewish women's and gender studies.
- NWSA Journal, an official publication of the National Women's Studies Association, publishes the most up-to-date interdisciplinary, multi-cultural feminist scholarship linking feminist theory with teaching and activism.
- Sex Roles A Journal for Research is a sociology journal that has full text articles available online.
- Signs. Journal of Women and Culture in Society is recognized as the leading international journal in women's studies. Signs publishes articles from a wide range of disciplines in a variety of voices-articles engaging gender, race, culture, class, sexuality, and/or nation. The focus of essays ranges from cross-disciplinary theorizing and methodologies to specific disciplinary issues, framed to enter conversations of interest across disciplines.
- Women's Studies Quarterly has been the leading journal on teaching in women's studies. Thematic issues feature vital material for specialists and generalist alike, including the most recent scholarship available in jargon-free language; classroom aids such as course syllabi; discussion of strategies for teaching; and up-to-date, complete bibliographies as well as hard-to-find or never-before-published documents and literary materials. The intersections of race and class with gender are of special concern, as are international perspectives.
Men's Studies and Masculinities Journals and Reports
- The Journal of Men's Studies
- NOMAS (The National Organization for Men Against Sexism)
- UN report on men and masculinities
Publishers and Library Database Information
GenderWatch™ from Proquest
With archival material dating back to 1970, GenderWatch™ provides authoritative historical and current perspectives on the evolution of gender roles as they affect both men and women. GenderWatch supports gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender (GLBT) studies; family studies; gender studies, and women’s studies with a unique interdisciplinary approach. Combining more than 200 academic, gray, and popular literature titles, GenderWatch provides researchers with more than 100,000 articles on wide-ranging topics like sexuality, religion, societal roles, feminism, masculinity, eating disorders, day care, and the workplace.
The 200+ titles featured in the GenderWatch database offer unique, distinctive voices seldom heard in mainstream media. Sometimes outspoken, always informative, the collection represents multiple viewpoints from a wide variety of publications. From scholarly analysis to popular opinion, GenderWatch encompasses three decades of gender studies. Titles include: The Advocate, Columbia Journal of Gender and Law, Divorce Magazine, off our backs, Transitions, and many more."
- Haworth Press publishes journals that relate to Queer studies. See their list of journals.
- Sage also publishes journals in many academic fields that relate to Communication, Gender, and Cultural studies.
- Taylor and Francis publishes many good journals. To go to their web site for a list of titles.
- The Snell Library has librarians dedicated to maintaining the Communication and Women's Studies databases. Click on these links to visit these help sites.
Film Studies and Cultural Studies
- Film Studies: UC Berkeley Library Film Reviews and Film Criticism Resources A great resource for any screen studies project.
- Journal of Film and Video is a is a refereed publication which focuses on scholarship in the fields of film and video production, history, theory, criticism, and aesthetics. It publishes short articles about film and related media, problems of education in these fields, and the function of film and video in society.
- Quarterly Review of Film and Video publishes critical, historical, and theoretical essays, book reviews, and interviews in the area of moving image studies including film, video, and digital imagery studies. Our scope is international and interdisciplinary.
- Rick Instrell reviews journals for film theory addicts. This is a great list from the Media and Moving Image Education Web site.
- Taylor and Francis' media studies resources page
- Callaloo the premier African Diaspora literary journal, publishes original works by, and critical studies of, black writers worldwide. The journal offers a rich mixture of fiction, poetry, plays, critical essays, cultural studies, interviews, and visual art. Frequent annotated bibliographies, special thematic issues, and original art and photography are some of the features of this highly acclaimed international showcase of arts and letters.
- Calyx has been showcasing the creative work of women since 1976. The elegantly designed journal showcases poetry, fiction, art, essays, and book reviews in two issues per year, released in June and November.
- (Sometimes referred to as “Film Crit”) covers the latest developments in Film Studies and the journal specializes in the application of "cutting-edge" theory. I could not find a web site for this journal but it is available as “hard copy” at Northeastern as a periodical.
- Text and Performance Quarterly focuses on the history, theory, and criticism of any type of text realized in performance.
- Association of Internet Researchers
- Into the Blogosphere, Rhetoric, Community, and Culture of Weblogs